Thursday, June 19, 2008

Maverick 29er Full Suspension - Please?

Maverick Bike has been building its own breed of full suspension bikes since the '90's. They have established a unique approach to their rear suspension pivots and, more importantly, their front suspension forks:

This unmistakable fork ranks up there as one of the toughest and sexiest forks on the market today. It is a fine component that means business, looks good on any bike, and is used by many custom framebuilders. They have 29er specific forks available in both a dual crown version and the single crown version. Personally, I would go for the dual - it's a wild child. Here's the revered wild child on an equally wild Niner RIP9 frame:


Unfortunatly, while Maverick builds extremely capable and responsive 26" full suspension bikes, they do not offer a 29er frame.

Well, the cat's been out of the bag for awhile that Spot Brand has purchased Maverick American. Spot has been a key player in the 29er game for years and might just have the resources and experience needed to launch a Maverick 29er platform.

With the 29ers becoming more popular and 29er full suspensions becoming more available, it would only make sense that Spot/Maverick have an offering in the near future. It will be the elusive "perfect mountain bike" spawned from the expert in tried and true 29er platforms and the expert in innovative full suspension technology... if they decide to make it, that is.

Photos usurped from (in order):

http://maverickbike.com/

http://bike29.com/blog/blog.html

5 comments:

-p said...

Given that Maverick already makes the forks, and they're all about premium performance, why not a 69'er? I think Trek is already using a Maverick fork to do just that.

-d said...

Yes, Trek is using the Maverick fork on one of their 69ers. I'm sure it performs like a champ, but even they call it a reverse mullet. If you truly (as a previous commentor said) "drink the kool aid", then you might rather have a 29er rear wheel since it increases the contact patch with the trail. Thus, your traction is improved at the driving wheel while your front wheel still has a better attack angle because of the increased diameter. When all is said and done, personal preference prevails.

Mark said...

The only drag on the 29er, though, is that at slower speeds you have less maneuverability and you are likely to stall out in any technical areas. The beauty of the 69er is that you get the best of both worlds. My 69er I find is much more maneuverable while still giving me the increased roll over efficiency. Now, if I had a little squish up front, I would probably be in heaven.

As for the Maverick Mono-link. Looks like an adaptation of the URT (Unified Rear Triangle), only the put the BB on it's on link. From what I have found the URT just gives you softer ride if seated. Call it an expensive comfort bike. Never-the-less, I'd give it a try. Otherwise, my next 29er, which will be a fully, will either be a Niner Rip or Jet, or the Pivot 429.

-d said...

mark,

Thanks for your input and I'm completey with you on the Niner bikes. I've never heard a bad thing from a Niner rider.

As for the Pivot 429, have you heard anything? I've seen their website, but they don't disclose much about the 429. All I know about Pivot is that it is run by Chris Cocalis, who also founded Titus bikes.

Maverick offers a video on thier Monolink: http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_187.mov

While other frames have this link, they seem to be unique with the bottom bracket in the link as you stated (which apparently helps with chain growth).

I've decided that I need many, many bikes in order to be truly satisfied (I know I'm not alone here).

Mark said...

Ran into a guy yesterday at on a Maverick that I have ridden with before and we got to talking about his bike. He really likes it - gives him the right about of suspension on the downhill and is really tight in the climbs.

He said that the rear triangle is a URP Unified Rear Pivot or something but if you has me, it's just a further adaptation of the URT. Still, that design probably has the best pedaling efficiency of any full suspension frame.

Yeah, the only thing on the Pivot 439 is the picture. Only thing I have found other than their website is the following post on Guitar Ted's 29er Blog: http://twentynineinches.com/2008/03/08/pivot-cycles-to-introduce-a-29er/

By the time I am ready for a fully 29er there will be so much to choose from it will be hard to make a choice. I'll have to really demo a few. Cycleworks, I believe has some deal where they will ship you a bike to demo and then if you like it you buy it directly from them.

In my case, that is the best way because 29ers on the east coast, especially in CT, are still a small niche and barely any shops carry any. If they do, then it's the more popular 26er manufacturers that have a bare bones market entry.