Thursday, March 26, 2009

You heard it here first - Campagnolo Athena

I just saw it tonight, straight from the GM of Campagnolo North America. They're bringing back the Athena road component group. Details:
-Forged aluminum crank at first
-Carbon crank to follow
-11 speed compatible
-Beautiful, bright finish, CNC machined big ring
-Ultra-torque coupling
-Carbon brake/shifters in the pattern of the current Record line
-All metal derailers
-Hollow pin chain

The polished aluminum will look great on a steel framed bike or any bike that does not need carbon ornamentation to make it look complete. Maybe it would go great with a pair of chromed chainstays?

I hope to have pictures soon, but I certainly got the scoop. You will not read this as of today on Velosnooze or Cyclingnews and it isn't even on the Campy web site.

Apparently, the original Athena was sold from 1989-1991 and was a notch below Chorus. The new Athena is said to be in the same quality range as ShimaNo Ultegra and run ~2300 grams for the whole set, less with the carbon cranks.

Foolishly, I didn't even have my cell phone camera on me. So, just dream about it for now.

No comments: